Halloween Electrical Safety Tips

For most of us, Halloween and decorating with lights indoors and outdoors is the kick off to the holiday season.

As you and your family celebrate Halloween with elaborate decorations, fun costumes, and candle lit displays, Next Gen Electric wants to make sure you are equipped with the following electrical safety tips to help you and all your little trick-or-treaters remain safe.

  • Always select/create costumes, decorations, and accessories made from flame-resistant, flame-retardant, or non-combustible materials.
  • Toss out the flame candles and use flashlights or battery-operated candles when decorating your home including your outdoor lighting: Jack-O-Lanterns, and other outdoor displays.
  • Carefully inspect each decoration before use. cracked, frayed, or bare wires can cause serious electric shock or start a fire.
  • Plug your outdoor decorations into circuits protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) to prevent electric shock.
  • Are your electrical decorations you plan to use outdoors are marked “For Outdoor Use”? If not, ditch them and get outdoor graded décor.
  • Keep your electrical cords out of high-traffic areas, including doorways and walkways, to minimize tripping hazards.
  • Don’t nail or staple light strings or extension cords. They cause damage to the cord’s insulation and can create fire and shock hazards.
  • Don’t forget to turn off your electrical decorations and put out any open flames before leaving your home or going to bed.

Next Gen Electric is your electrical and solar expert. We have over 15 years of experience supporting homeowners to stay safe while connected in their home.

Give us a call today for any electrical or solar needs!

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email